Slow-Cooked Chicken & Barley – R. Woodford
It’s the perfect time of year to pull out the slow cookers!
Your dog will love how the chicken flavour has a chance to blend into all the other ingredients while everything cooks together in a slow cooker. Approximately 10 minutes of prep, just set your slow cooker on low and carry on! Keep curious noses away. Cooking the barley for a long period of time will make it plump and soft, which allows for a generous serving size. This is a low-fat, high-fibre meal that is great for dogs on a diet!
- 2 ½ cups pearl barley
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, diced
- 2 cups finely chopped beans
- 2 large carrots, diced or shredded
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 5 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or safflower oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (I always say optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients in the pot of a 6-quart slow cooker and stir well to combine and evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Set the temperature to low and cook for 8 hours.
- Turn off the cooker and allow the stew to cool prior to mixing in any supplements.
Yield: 14 cups; 240 calories per cup
Divide into two meals, or serve one-half the daily portion per day with one-half the normal amount of dry food.
1 to 1 1/3 cups
1 2/3 to 2 1/3 cups
3 to 3 ¾ Cups
4 to 5 ¼ cups
5 to 6 1/3 cups
All of our Sheepie Snack Sunday blogs & recipes can be found on our Facebook page in our album here.
Making the fur fly,
Danielle & Riggs
The Pet Professionals: Cert. Vet Assist, Professional Pet Stylist, Canine Nutritionist, Feline Nutritionist